Skip to main content

Straight from the Kitchen of a Bachelorette


My cooking… now one may fall short of words in describing it. My first encounter with the saucepan and gas flames was at ten years old. Tea was the first thing that I learnt to cook.  I also tried my hands in omelette making and few snacks like sandwiches, as an 11 years old and proud to declare they were quite a success. And that was that. I learnt nothing else relative  to cooking till my mid twenties.

I will like to share one more experience when my grandma came visiting. My parents were out of home due to some family emergency and telephoned that they would be late. And then the inevitable happened, instead of ordering food I decided to cook. The food on menu was ‘egg curry’ and it would be anybody’s guess that the end product was disaster.

The egg curry that I made was all watery, sugary, slimy stuff with broken half boiled eggs floating at the top. And the sight was enough to make everyone throw up. My grandma became the object of my experiment. She ate the product with a twitched up face.

Those were the times when there were no school of culinary arts in Varanasi as there are now. Cooking then was a complete household affair and it’s the women folk who ruled the kitchen.

Fastforwarding to the modern times, now one can find good culinary schools in every small city and towns where the students can learn everything by complete hands on training. Culinary course in Jabalpur, for instance are designed  in such a manner that they cater to the needs of gentry as well as the genteel class.

These courses are available in the form of short term as well as long term courses. Hence, the enrollees have options galore over the type of course they want to pursue. The available courses in Jaipur, Gurgaon, Bangalore, Bhatinda, Amritsar and several other cities in India are according to international standards and norms.

One such culinary school worthy of mention is Academy of Culinary Arts in Bangalore where one can learn everything related to cooking art by chefs who are a master in their trade.
If such culinary schools existed in my time, at least my grandma wouldn’t have to tolerate my egg curry. Sigh !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hobbies to inculcate: Patisserie Making

Hobby is a great way to relieve stress. It brings joy and enriches our lives.  It is a stress-reliever and engages an individual for relaxation. Hobbies help an individual to become more patient and composed. It lets an individual to relax and indulge in activities, that aren’t associated with work or other responsibilities. Baking is a great therapeutic activity for a person who loves to cook new recipes.  Activities liking baking pastries and cakes stimulates an individual’s sense of taste and can also be a pleasant surprise for others too. Baking not only gives pleasure but it also helps to ease depression and anxiety. There are several schools for baking and pastry classes, where students learn to make cakes and pastries for weddings and special occasions. Acts as a meditation therapy Baking is a simple and repetitive activity which relaxes the mind and therefore acts as a meditation therapy. Whipping up cream and butter and whisking eggs creates a space and bring

Survival guide with just 5 ingredients - Chef Shailesh

I think we’re lucky, really lucky because we live in a civilized and urban world where nearly everything we wish to eat can be easily delivered to our doorstep using an app. The saying “No one knows a man better than his grocer” may well have been usurped by “no one knows a man better than his food delivery app”. Consider also that talented chef’s today are experimenting and creating Indian haute cuisine in an attempt to command respect globally. Such cuisine is truly Indian but when presented looks identical to the highest quality French cuisine . Chefs are pushing boundaries and opening boutique restaurants where Indian favourites like butter chicken aren’t even on the menu. At such restaurants, the traditional Indian naan is being served stuffed with blue cheese which at times leads first-time diners to inform the chef that the cheese in the naan is spoiled! Yet undeterred, Indian chefs continue to push the boundaries of Indian cuisine. But while the lifestyles of us big city dwell

Importance of Cooking and Baking Tools

The saying “Rome wasn’t built in a day” is true when speaking of the leading city-state of the ancient world- and nearly as true for the perfect baked food. It takes years of training to become an expert chef who can make yummy pastries and cakes. And while an outstanding baked food doesn’t take as long to be ready as did Rome, the end result can be just as gratifying.  As a skilled baker, I take pride in my work. Like people in other professionals, I also use a number of tools to help me bake food that is loved by many. By using my baking tools I provide others with edibles such as bread, cakes, pastries, cookies and a number of other baked foods almost too numerous to list. When I bake, I use tools such as a weighing scale, a whisk, a spatula, a baking pan, measuring spoons and cups, a food processor, a pastry brush, a mixing bowl, a rolling pin and a dough hook. Each of these tools is essential for baking as, without them, I would not be able to make the varie